Friday, March 26, 2010

Part of a script performed by lower elementary students

Step Mother: It is getting dark and you kids look tired. Take a nap and then we will go home.

(The animals pick up crumbs as they exit. Meanwhile stage hands bring on THE FIRE as Hansel and Gretel enter and lie next door to it, asleep. Gretel is the first to wake. Her whisper-shouts...)

Gretel: Hansel….! Hansel…! (Waking Hansel)

Hansel: What is it, Gretel?

Gretel: Stepmother-she’s gone! She left us alone in the forest. I am scared.

Hansel: Don’t worry Gretel. The bread crumbs will show us the way back home.

(Hansel look around the area by the fire, then looks across the stage to discover the bread is gone)

Hansel: Oh no! The bread….is gone. The animals must have eaten them up.

Gretel: Hansel I am scared we will not see our dad again.

Hansel: Yes we will Gretel. We will find the way.

(Next we find an appropriate way to show the children wandering aimlessly about the stage-hopelessly lost in the forest. The passage of time is marked by a tick-tock percussion instrument. At the point of exhaustion, can no longer walk or stand up. Stage the posture: kneeling? Seated on hands and knees? Other? When the tick-tock stops…)

Gretel: Hansel I am so tired.

Hansel: Me too Gretel

Gretel: Let’s just rest for a little while...

Hansel: What is that?

Gretel: It looks like a

Hansel: giant cake…

Gretel: Oh look is this a cookie?

Hansel: It is a cookie mmm its delicious have a bite.

Gretel: Oh my goodness this is wonderful taste this.

Hansel: Oh I hope no one gets angry- but

Both: I am so hungry

Hansel: I think I could eat the whole house.

Witch: Nibbling Nibbling like a mouse who is eating my whole house?

Hansel: (Drop their cookies) Oh my sister and I are so sorry

Gretel: We were just very very hungry.

Witch: (licking her lips) Oh dear children- it is ok. I love to have nice children to gobble…ch... I mean to well heh heh

Come in Come in and my you are kinda skinny. I would love to make you nice and fat! (Arms around enters the house)

In the witches house

Both kids at the table with food pilled high-

Witch: Now come along- eat it all up. If you want more I’ll get you more.

Hansel: I wish we could take some home for father

Gretel: Maybe she will help us get home but I don’t think she sees too well.

Witch: Now off to bed- tomorrow I will tell you my plans. (Pointing to wrong child) Little boy you sleep over here and little girl you sleep here.

Hansel and Gretel go to sleep.
Witch tip toes in and locks Hansel in a cage.

No comments:

RRR

Caste system and nationalism